West Sussex CCG has an agreed strategic approach to maintain safe and effective safeguarding and Looked After Children services and to strengthen arrangements for safeguarding children and adults at risk from abuse and neglect across Sussex.
We are required to demonstrate how our strategic and assurance arrangements enable us to carry out the duties and functions specified under the Care Act (2014) and the Children and Social Work Act (2017).
Safeguarding is a key priority for us, and we have an extensive and wide reaching approach which includes:
- Clear systems to train staff to recognise and report safeguarding issues;
- A clear line of accountability for safeguarding and Looked After Children, reflected in our governance arrangements and overseen by NHS England;
- Arrangements to work with local authorities through our Safeguarding Children Partnerships and Safeguarding Adult Boards;
- Arrangements to share information between service providers, agencies and commissioners;
- Designated doctors and nurses who are responsible for safeguarding adults, children and looked after children;
- A child death review team, including nurses and a designated doctor, who are responsible for reviewing deaths in childhood.
West Sussex Safeguarding Children Partnership and Safeguarding Adult Board
The West Sussex Safeguarding Children Partnership is a multi-agency group involved in promoting the welfare of children and young people in West Sussex.
The West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board works to empower and protect vulnerable adults in West Sussex.
Looked After Children annual report summary
Our aim is to include and engage Looked After Children and Young People of all backgrounds, ages and abilities in our strategic planning and performance monitoring, so that they can participate in shaping and changing their care experience positively.
The Corporate Parenting Board reviews the year’s performances and asks for assurance from health and social care that statutory responsibilities are being met.
The Safeguarding team has produced this child focused video which summarises our annual reports in an understandable and meaningful way and starts to include Looked After Children in the conversations that matter for their care and service provision.