Please note: the West Sussex Continuing Healthcare and Children and Young People’s Continuing Care team previously worked on behalf of Coastal, Crawley, Horsham and Mid-Sussex Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) and following changes on 1 April 2020 the team now represent the new West Sussex CCG. Read more about our new CCGs across Sussex.
The National Framework for Children and Young People’s Continuing Care sets out an equitable, transparent and timely process for assessing, deciding and agreeing bespoke continuing care packages for children and young people whose needs in this area cannot be met by existing universal and specialist services.
The framework (see below) is a key part of delivering the vision and standards for the care of disabled children and young people and those with complex health needs set out in Standard 8 of the National Service Framework for Children, Young People and Maternity Services.
It is an important step forward in meeting the holistic needs of children and young people with long-term conditions, disability or palliative care needs.
West Sussex’s Children’s Continuing Care uses the Framework as the basis of the assessment which will determine eligibility for a funded care package and uses its principles as guidance for the commissioning of support for the families for children with complex health needs.
An assessment is needed both to comply with the guidance and to provide sufficient information for the eligibility process. There must be a health professional involved with the assessment and evidence should be provided from existing reports and care plans.
Decision making tools
- Children’s Continuing Care pre-assessment referral form v2.0
- Children’s Continuing Care consent form v2.0
- Children’s Continuing Care pre-assessment checklist v2.0
- Children’s Continuing Care full assessment decision support tool v5.0
Children’s Continuing Care information
- Children’s Continuing Care information leaflet
- Children’s Continuing Care Personal Health Budgets information leaflet
- Children’s Continuing Care National Framework – 2016 version
Children and young people’s contacts
Find out more by contacting the local NHS Children and Young People’s Continuing Care team:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01903 708 609
- Post: West Sussex Continuing Healthcare, Wicker House, High Street, Worthing, BN11 1DJ